I love focaccia, I think I’ve already mentioned this fact in several posts and I’ve finally decided to write down my easy focaccia bread recipe. This is my favorite Italian bread and if I can make it, everyone can, trust me.
Before making this blog, I’ve only eaten store-purchased focaccia and, at the time, I’ve also thought it was delicious.
Until the day came, meaning yesterday, and I’ve made my own easy focaccia bread recipe.
The difference was so big that I cannot put it into words. It cannot be described. Actually, it’s the same thing when you compare store-purchased loaves to bread machine loaves or to breads made by hand.
I definitely recommend trying this recipe, it’s almost as good as a pizza.
- 1 cup water room temperature,
- 3 cups white bread flour,
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast,
- 1 teaspoon salt or two, it’s up to your preferences,
- 1 teaspoon sugar,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary, fresh and dried,
- cherry tomatoes,
- chopped olives,
- a hand of grated Parmesan cheese (optional).
1. In the bread machine pan add the water, flour, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil in the order recommended by the manufacturer. I let my bread maker do the mixing of the ingredients and the kneading but you can also make the dough by hand. Since I have a machine I thought it would be best to put it to work. It’s so much easier.
2. After the kneading is done pressed the Start/Stop button and removed the dough.
3. Add rosemary to the dough. I made a mix between fresh and dried because I don’t have that much fresh rosemary and I use it for a lot of recipes. You can do the same. If you don’t have fresh, just add dried rosemary.
4. Knead the dough a little until the rosemary is incorporated in the dough.
5. Place the dough in the baking pan, stretching it to fit the corners.
6. After that, add the ingredients that really transform this dough into a delicious focaccia: some more rosemary, drizzled olive oil, Parmesan cheese (optional), chopped olives, and sliced cherry tomatoes.
7. Cover the dough with a towel and let it rise for 45 minutes in a warm place. The dough will rise even more while being in the oven. It will amaze you just how much it has risen, and how wonderful it looks.
8. Bake it for up to 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit or until golden brown. And that’s it, isn’t this an easy focaccia bread recipe? Enjoy your focaccia, you’ve earned it!
If you don’t have a bread machine, you can make the dough by hand.
Just follow these simple steps, the ingredients and measurements are the same:
- in lukewarm water add the yeast and let it dissolve for about 5 minutes
- in another bowl add the flour, salt, sugar, and olive oil and mix them together a bit
- over that pour the yeast and water mixture
- knead until you get a sticky dough, for about 10 minutes or so
Now that you have the dough, add the rosemary and knead it a bit more until it’s incorporated.
You can use dry or fresh rosemary. Obviously, the fresh one has a more intense flavor. But the dry one is good, too. You will definitely taste its flavor, either way.
Make tiny holes in the dough
Place the dough into the pan and stretch it by hand.
You can use the handle of a spoon to make tiny holes into the dough so that it can better absorb the toppings’ flavor.
Drizzle some good olive oil because it will have an impact on the overall flavor of your favorite focaccia bread recipe.
Then add some chopped olives. You can use whichever type you prefer. I like the black look that contrasts with the bright red color of the tomatoes.
Well, when it comes to this step, I think I should mention that it’s best to use tomatoes just when they’re in season.
The tomatoes offer a pop of flavor that makes this focaccia bread recipe pretty unforgettable.
Once all of these ingredients have been added, cover the dough with a towel and let it rise for about 45 minutes.
And here is the end results. After about 30-40 minutes in the oven, this is it. My first focaccia bread recipe.
I had a lot of fun making it.
But it was more fun sharing it with my family and enjoying this classic recipe together. It was all gone in an instant. That’s the best feeling.
How Others Are Making Focaccia:
You can create your own focaccia recipe. Use whatever ingredients and herbs you prefer. Just don’t forget that the olive oil is really important so choose a really good one, packed with flavor.