Are the best bench scrapers really useful tools or not? By the way, you’ll find them under the name bench scraper or dough scraper, both names represent the same tools.
I will admit that getting the best bench scraper might not be an essential kitchen tool but it can be a very useful one. You can still bake bread even without one but with one you might find some tasks to be easier.
Overall, it can prove useful in the kitchen.
Many people don’t think that it’s going to help them much but once they start using one they discover how integral in their baking and cooking it can be.
It’s not like you cannot make dough unless you have one of these things lying around. There are many people who don’t even use one.
However, even the absolute best dough scraper is a cheap product so, if you’ve got the chance, get one. Test its usefulness. It might surprise you how often you’ll end up using your bench scraper.
Best Bench Scrapers: Top 5 Favorite Dough Scrapers
1. Overall Best: Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper/Bench Scraper Chopper
The price is great if you get it on sale and the quality is one of the best, plus this is actually a set: a bench scraper made of stainless steel and a bowl scraper with measurement conversion chart on one side.
2. Cheapest Bench Scraper: Winware Stainless Steel Dough Scraper with Wood Handle
The really cheap price does in no way suggest that this one isn’t worthy of the best dough scraper title and I also love the sturdy wooden handle and the contrast it makes with the stainless steel blade.
3. Famous Manufacturer: OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
OXO always makes good products and this one is no exception to the rule, it should help you make countless breads and pastries.
4. Runner-up: Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Bowl Scraper/Chopper
It looks like a classic dough scraper but its quality is impressive, one of the best without a doubt although the price is a bit high.
5. Versatile Dough Scraper Set: Chef’n Pastrio 3-in-1 Bench Scraper Set
This set is pretty wonderful, it includes a stainless steel dough scraper with a plastic handle, a plastic bench scraper, and a very good bowl scraper made of plastic, all three pieces for an unbelievable cheap price.
Top 8 Best Dough Scrapers
My list features 7 best dough scrapers that are made of stainless steel and 1 particular set consisting of three pieces (it’s a combination of two bench scrapers, one stainless steel the other one made of plastic, and a plastic bowl scraper).
They’re all pretty affordable, some quite cheap, but the first combination for Spring Chef is probably my favorite. It’s a very good stainless steel bench scraper that also comes with a quirky plastic bowl scraper with all kinds of measurement conversions on it.
My second favorite might be the Anmarko Professional Metal Spatula Set. However, this is only a great option for those who are looking for a set that consists of two spatulas and a dough scraper that is so heavy-duty that it can be used on bbqs and griddles.
1. Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper/Bench Scraper Chopper
I really love this Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper/Bench Scraper Chopper.
This is actually a set:
- best bench scraper
- with a bonus bowl scraper
It’s certainly a winning combination.
The dough scraper is made of stainless steel with 1 inch measurements on the blade.
The sturdy plastic handle is of the highest quality and it fits the hand comfortably – it’s a top feature.
Overall, this dough scraper is very good for dough cutting, chopping, cutting, scooping, and cleaning our work area.
The price is pretty much the same as the dough scraper from OXO.
But this scraper from Spring Chef also comes with a plastic bowl scraper. The plastic bowl scraper features a measurement conversion chart on one side. It is quite the unexpected addition.
If you get it on sale, the price for this set is one of the cheapest you can find.
Clean it by hand, it’s very easy to clean, don’t put it in the dishwasher and it will last a very long time.
Where to Buy?
2. Zulay Premium Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Bench Scraper & Chopper
People absolutely love this bench scraper & chopper from Zulay.
This is actually a dough scraper with a story. Zulay Kitchen is a manufacturer named after the founder’s mother who is his super-hero. This company is named after a woman who raised her two sons on her own, while finding time to cook healthy meals while working extra-long hours.
How amazing is that story? I love it. In my family, we also bond over food. We are excited when we discover new recipes and we are always sentimental when we’re cooking our classic, favorite foods that have been cooked in this house for decades. Those are the warmest memories.
However, this Zulay Premium Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Bench Scraper & Chopper doesn’t only have a touching backstory.
It’s also one of the best bench scrapers on the market. It’s of excellent quality and cuts through every dough without problems.
It will also make cleaning effortless.
The blade is sleek, high-grade stainless steel. It is crafted to scrape, scoop, cut, chop and more.
On the blade we’ll also find large, etched measuring markings. They’re easy to read for perfect cuts every time.
Last but not least, there’s a non-slip handle that snuggles comfortably in your hand.
And the price is very affordable. We can’t really complain about anything when it comes to this tool. However, if you want an even cheaper best bench scraper, check out my next recommendation.
Where to Buy?
3. Winware Stainless Steel Dough Scraper with Wood Handle
The sturdy look of this Winware Stainless Steel Dough Scraper with Wood Handle implies durability.
The classic design with wood handle looks really good. I’m sure that there will be some of you who will prefer this design over the black plastic handle design.
It feels very solid.
The wood handle offers a good grip and it’s one of my favorite aspects about this bench scraper.
More importantly, we get high quality for a really cheap price.
It’s about the cheapest best dough scraper on this list, not considering the set made of 3 pieces. The Chef’n Pastrio 3-in-1 Bench Scraper Set is sold for a hard-to-believe price but it’s excellent.
The Winware Stainless Steel Dough Scraper is good for dough cutting, scooping, and for cleaning the work area.
It’s also dishwasher safe.
Overall, the Winware Stainless Steel Dough Scraper with Wood Handle can be easily regarded as the best bench scraper of high quality for an unbelievably cheap price.
Where to Buy?
4. OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
OXO always makes good products, I just had to include their dough scraper on my list.
It’s also the most expensive best bench scrapers among my recommendations.
We get a stainless steel blade and a very good handle, shaped to fit the hand comfortably.
It’s very good for dough cutting.
The blade also includes 1 inch measurement markings.
It’s dishwasher safe.
Where to Buy?
5. Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Bowl Scraper/Chopper
This is like the epitome of a classic bench scraper.
It’s made of stainless steel with 1-inch measurement marks along the blade edge.
The nonslip handle is the finishing touch.
It’s also one of the best bench scrapers even though it’s not quite the cheapest.
It’s very good for cutting dough, chopping, cutting, scooping and cleaning.
You don’t have to wash it by hand if you don’t want to. It’s dishwasher safe.
Where to Buy?
6. Chef’n Pastrio 3-in-1 Bench Scraper Set
This is the only plastic best dough scraper on my list.
It’s actually a set that contains 3 pieces.
One is a stainless steel dough scraper with a plastic handle.
The second is also a best dough scraper only that it’s made of plastic in case you’re concerned about scratching some surfaces – it’s actually the only plastic dough scraper on this list.
The last of those 3 pieces is actually a very good bowl scraper made of plastic.
The bowl scraper is obviously flexible, which makes it perfect for cleaning bowls and removing sticky dough from them.
It’s also perfectly safe for children.
Considering there are 3 pieces in this set, I would say that it’s a really cheap set, it’s an incredible deal, there might be no a better one.
These 3 pieces can be nested together for easy organized storage.
They’re also dishwasher safe.
All in all, the Chef’n Pastrio 3-in-1 Bench Scraper Set is an excellent set. We get high quality for a low price.
Where to Buy?
7. Anmarko Stainless Steel Metal Griddle Scraper Chopper
Another very beautiful dough scraper is this one from Anmarko. I love the design. But it’s a bit expensive. I much prefer the Zulay Premium Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Bench Scraper & Chopper because it’s slightly cheaper.
Still, this tool from Anmarko looks great.
I prefer the wooden handle design but they also have the same blade with a rubber handle attached. Thus, you can choose between the two designs.
The blades is made from sturdy stainless steel. It’s characterized as a heavy duty, scraper metal blade with a thickness of 1/32 inch.
On one side of the blade it has a full, comprehensive guide on measure equivalents.
It’s a versatile tool that can be used for many purposes. Besides the classic cutting dough activity, you can also use this Anmarko Stainless Steel Metal Griddle Scraper Chopper on the bbq and grill as well as for cast iron griddle.
It also has a beveled edge for easy cutting, dicing or chopping directly on the griddle while cooking.
If you’re looking for a sturdy, heavy duty blade, check this one out.
Where to Buy?
8. Anmarko Professional Metal Spatula Set
From the same manufacturer, we have another buying option.
We can buy this set that consists of:
- cooking spatula turner
- grill spatula
- griddle scraper
The griddle scraper is the bench scraper that I reviewed just above. This is the tool that you can use as a dough scraper. But you can also use it to clean grills and griddles. Plus you can cut, dice or chop directly on the griddle while cooking.
If you’re lacking both a couple of spatulas and a heavy-duty dough scraper, this set from Anmarko might be what you’re looking for.
Where to Buy?
Bench Scraper Uses
- the name gives us the best clue for its primary use: scraping stuck dough from the work surface without leaving any scratches behind – cleaning done effortlessly without any damage
- if you’ve got a baking steel, you can use a dough scraper to clean it, it won’t damage it but if you want to avoid any cleaning work use parchment paper
- bench scrapers can be very useful when kneading dough – while kneading, the dough might stick to your work surface but with a scraper you can quickly pull the dough and sprinkle more flour, getting back to kneading
- great for working with sticky dough, even releasing it from the bowl will go without problems and not much will be left behind
- if you want the perfect tool for cutting dough, you’ve found it
- a plastic dough scraper can even be used for mixing
- these tools can also be used for transferring chopped vegetables
- it can even be used to smooth frosting on a cake
- all in all, the best bench scraper can turn out to be a little kitchen tool that you didn’t know you need
- if you’ll read any books about bread, you’ll notice that all bakers or writers mention bench scrapers on their equipment list, it’s one of the things those books have in common, no matter who the writer is
How to Pick the Best Scraper for Dough
- there are two main materials to choose from: stainless steel and plastic
- the stainless steel is the most prevalent material
- the handle is an important decision factor – it must fit the hand comfortably while offering a good non-slippery grip
- the handles are made from either plastic or wood – both materials can be very good if they’ve been properly designed and properly manufactured
- some prefer the wooden handle just for aesthetic purposes – it does look nice
- plastic dough scrapers are very flexible, good for mixing, and perfect for cleaning bowls, they’re also very durable
- the steels ones are not flexible at all and they don’t work as bowl scrapers, you need flexibility for that task
- some models are really cheap while others are just by a few dollars more expensive – there’s not a huge price difference no matter which model you end up choosing
- even if you buy one and you don’t end up using it too much, you won’t regret it because a best dough scraper is a cheap kitchen utensil – on the same level as getting a spatula
Now that you have read these short reviews for these 5 best bench scrapers, what do you think: are you interested in using a dough scraper and see how it can aid you in your baking experiences?
Bench Scrapers FAQs
Let’s check out some of the most interesting questions on this topic.
1. What makes a good bench scraper?
The stainless steel blade is the main feature that characterizes a good dough scraper because this is the component that cuts through any dough. It’s also used during kneading. If you’re working with a particularly sticky dough and you need to lift it up often to sprinkle more flour on the countertop, a dough scraper will unstick the dough in an instance. A durable stainless steel blade is also used for cleaning your work station or for cleaning a baking steel. The second feature is the plastic handle. It must offer a nice grip that doesn’t make you uncomfortable when you’re using this tool. On the other hand, bowl scrapers are made of plastic because they need to be flexible since they’re used inside a bowl.
2. Is a plastic or metal scraper better?
There are plastic bench scrapers that are really sturdy and just as sharp as metal dough scrapers but I just prefer the ones with a stainless steel blade and a black plastic/wooden handle.
3. What is the best tool in scraping the dough from the working table?
A dough scraper is the best tool for scraping the dough from the working table. It can also be used for portioning dough, which can be really useful when you’re making your pizza dough balls. A bench scraper can scrape the dough from the working table but just as well it can clean up a baking steel.
4. What is the best type of bench scraper?
The winning combination for some of the best bench scrapers is a stainless steel blade and a plastic handle, most likely black, but there are some with wooden or metal handles, too.