Although there are a few models for artisan bread makers, meaning bread makers that include the artisan dough program, let’s set things straight right from the start: the artisan dough setting shouldn’t be the reason for getting a bread machine.
To be honest,
I am not impressed by either of these two models.
They’re not the best on the market, there are better bread machines out there.
That’s why I’m saying that just because these two bread machines can be called artisan bread makers due to that particular dough setting, they shouldn’t be your first choice for a bread machine.
Because of that,
I’m also going to offer better alternatives to these two machines, just so you’re aware that there are other options.
These two machines aren’t even making artisan breads from start to finish, it’s just the dough, which you then have to bake in an oven.
Doesn’t it sound too complicated for what it’s supposed to be a best bread machine for artisan breads?
If you’re only looking at making artisan breads then trying out first by hand would be much better, you will also save some money in the meantime.
1. Best: Hamilton Beach 29885
This is one very popular bread machine but I’m pretty sure that there are not a lot of people who are interested in the artisan dough setting. After all, the dough is made in 5 hours, which is not a problem because you don’t do anything and you can program it to have the dough ready at whatever hour you want. The baking of artisan breads is a complex matter, usually done on a bread baking stone or in a Dutch oven. Even so, overall, the Hamilton Beach 29885 is a very good, nicely priced bread machine that even has a gluten-free cycle.
2. Just as Good: Breadman BK1050S
Breadman BK1050S is another pretty affordable bread maker that is quite good. The artisan dough cycle takes about the same 5 hours until completion but then you have to bake it in an oven. It’s a nice cycle to experiment with, If I weren’t already owning a bread machine, I would be intrigued to try such a particular setting, like the artisan dough. Other interesting features include the gluten-free cycle and the fruit and nut dispenser plus a collapsible kneading paddle.
Top 2 Best Artisan Bread Makers
There really aren’t many bread machines that have the artisan dough setting included among their programs.
I managed to find the two best artisan bread makers but they only have the artisan dough setting, they don’t bake the dough, you will have to do that in the oven.
These two artisan bread makers take 5 hours to make this type of dough.
That’s the only thing about it.
The setting uses a long cool rise to better develop the flavor and texture and that’s why it takes so long.
But if you leave normal dough in the fridge overnight I think the same thing can be achieved or I might be wrong about that.
In comparison, the bread/pizza dough programs take 1.5-2 hours until they’re complete.
1. Hamilton Beach 29885 Artisan and Gluten-Free Bread Maker
- has 14 preprogrammed cycles: basic, French, gluten free, whole grain, 1.5 LB Express, 2 LB Express, quick bread, sweet, dough, cake, jam, rise, bake, artisan dough
- the artisan dough setting is complete in 5:05 hours
- the Express settings are for making white loaves under 2 hours by using quick-rising yeast but the taste is not as good
- there are 3 loaf sizes: 1, 1.5, and 2 pounds
- and 3 crusts: light, medium, dark
- a 7-minute power failure backup
Its really tall shape and small weight don’t transmit the feeling of stability and durability.
That’s indeed the case, you must be careful how and where you place the Hamilton Beach 29885.
For that reason only, the Hamilton Beach 2 lb Digital Bread Maker is a much better option in my opinion. It’s also almost half the price of the Hamilton Beach 29885, of higher quality and durability, while still featuring the gluten-free setting.
2. Breadman BK1050S Bread Maker
- has 14 settings: white, white rapid, whole wheat, whole wheat rapid, French, French rapid, sweet bread, quick, low carb, gluten free, dough, artisan dough, jam, bake only
- the entire artisan dough cycle takes 5:15 hours
- 3 loaf sizes: 1, 1.5, and 2 pounds
- 3 crusts: light, medium, dark
- fruit and nut dispenser
- 15-hour delay start time
- a 10-minute power failure backup
- collapsible kneading paddle although some users have complained that it can scratch the surface of the pan
The Breadman BK1050S looks solid and indeed is a bread machine that can withstand the test of time.
The price tag doesn’t entice me at all.
It’s quite expensive.
But it still has a lot to offer so it’s not exactly a bad deal, it can be considered the best bread machine for artisan breads out of the two.
You would be better off with the Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker of which you could buy 3 for the price of one Breadman BK1050S. There’s nothing fancy about the Sunbeam but it’s a really cheap bread machine that doesn’t disappoint at all.
If you want to know more about this machine, read my post on Breadman bread machines, you will discover all the pros and cons for this bread maker from Breadman.
What Is Artisan Bread?
It’s hard to define artisan bread exactly. There’s no clear definition.
It’s a term used to refer to:
- breads made from dough that went through a longer fermentation time
- loaves made by hand using traditional techniques
- the longer time is of the essence
- only the basic ingredients are used: salt, water, yeast, and flour
- it can refer to hearth and sourdough breads that’s why we can include in this category anything from baguettes to focaccia to multigrain breads
- this type of bread has a short shelf-life and it’s best consumed immediately after baking
As you can see, it’s a broad term and I can’t understand it very well because it includes a lot of types of breads.
I mostly understand that it serves a commercial purpose because it helps small bakeries identify their loaves as being high quality, made with the best flour, and through traditional methods, often baked in hearth ovens.
It sets them apart from commercial bread, which also makes them more expensive.
All that considered,
I don’t think that artisan bread makers represent a category that you should especially pay attention to, getting a bread machine that fits your budget is good enough.