I love pizza, I mean who doesn’t?
Except my grandmother but she’s a sole exception.
From my point of view, the secret to an unforgettable pizza is the dough. The second place is reserved for the sauce.
Everyone knows that.
That’s why the best pizza is the one baked in a wood fired oven. It’s such a shame that you can’t have one in an apartment. We’re left to manage with a baking stone.
But it’s still worthy to make your own than going out or ordering in. And it’s so much cheaper.
Especially when you have a big crowd to feed.
Quick Pizza Dough Recipe: The Fastest Way
But what about a quick pizza dough recipe? Is there such a thing?
Yes, there is.
You can follow my quick pizza dough recipe and eat a pretty good dish in about 30 minutes.
However, every dough has to rise, whether you’re using it for making white bread or pita bread or whatever recipe you want. The rising time is about 60 minutes.
I’m not saying that a quick pizza dough recipe is a bad thing, even if you leave it to rise for less than 60 minutes it will still taste pretty good.
But the rising phase has a big impact in the flavor of the crust.
It’s worth the wait.
- 1 cup warm water,
- 3 cups white bread flour or all purpose flour either one works really well,
- 2 teaspoons yeast,
- 2 teaspoons salt,
- 1 teaspoon sugar,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
1. Mix the water with the sugar and the active dry yeast. Stir the mix a little and let it sit for 2-5 minutes.
2. After those 5 minutes have passed, add the flour, the salt, and the olive oil (or vegetable oil). Mix them, knead the dough a little, cover it with a towel and let it rise for at least 15 minutes (preferably half an hour).
3. After that, you’re ready to roll the dough, add your favorite ingredients and bake the pizza for about 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Don’t forget to always preheat the oven.
Pizza Dough Recipe: The Alternative
If you’re not entirely satisfied by this quick pizza dough recipe, you can take the proper steps and let the dough rise for about 1 hour and a half or until it doubles in size.
1. Add the water, the sugar and the yeast in a bowl. Stir them. Add the flour, bread or all purpose, the salt and the olive oil/vegetable oil. Mix them all.
2. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. After that shape it in a round ball.
3. Coat a bowl with a little oil, place the round ball in, cover it with a towel and let it rise until it doubles in size, for about 1 hour and a half. If you want to take it even further, let the dough overnight in the fridge and make the pizza the next day. It will seriously rise so place it in a large bowl so it won’t spill over. After removing it from the fridge, let it rest until it’s warm again.
4. Roll the dough either with your hand from the middle of the dough outwards using the heel of your hand or with a rolling pin if you want a really thin crunchy crust. If the dough starts shrinking back, give it a little space. Let it rest for 5 minutes and start rolling it again after that.
Roll it directly on parchment paper if you have a baking stone. That way, you can bake it directly on the parchment paper. The crust will be released from the parchment midway through the baking and you can remove it entirely.
If you’re using a baking pan, coat it with a little oil before adding the rolled dough or roll it directly inside the pan. Either way it’s fine.
Preheat the oven and bake it for about 10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. With the above ingredients you will be making 3 round pizzas.
Pizza Dough Recipe: Using a Bread Machine
The second alternative is to get a bread maker.
It’s so much easier and less messy than doing the dough by hand and the result is quite delicious in my opinion. I’ve found that there’s a noticeable difference between a hand made pizza dough and a machine one.
I started making pizza at home the moment I got my bread machine. It had a dough setting and it felt like a blessing.
Since then, I’ve used that setting on a regular basis. Every time the dough turn out perfect and I didn’t have to do anything. It took 1 hour and 30 minutes from the moment I added the ingredients in the pan until I heard the beeps that let me know that the program is complete.
1. Add all the ingredients in the baking pan in the order stated by the recipe from the user manual, select the Dough cycle and that’s it. Come back when it’s done.
2. Remove the dough and let it rest for a few minutes.
3. Roll the dough with a pin or your hands.
Obviously, this quick pizza dough recipe is ideal if you want something delicious and ready to serve in about 45 minutes but the alternative is what you should try for a perfect pizza on the weekends, surrounded by family and friends.